need help with the solution to this problem

TheLinuxNerd

Hi,

Let me start this off by saying that I live in New York State (not new york city). Most of the jobs in my region are low-paid service jobs. new york is raising the minimum wage to 15/hour. There's no job pool at the end and I'm trying to save up for a car so i can afford to move out later. owning a car is the only cost-effective way to get around in my region. All the jobs on indeed are part time at best. In january the minimum wage in my region is going up to $11.80/hour. You get layoffs from there. That's the problem.Two restaurants in my region already permanently closed. All of my friends that I know are still living with their parents at home. some of them own their own car but I need to own a car in my region before I can even think about moving out. Plus the bus station in my region next year is changing the bus schedules so that half the buses wont leave the city. Taking an Uber isn't worth it in my region compared to owning a car. I also work in the information technology line of work. i can code and do network and systems admin. i can do almost everything in IT. And then there's also declining demand for tech jobs in my region. Plus all the call centers in my region have bad reputations and pay minimum wage. I'm trying to move out but I need a car first. You can't even live independently or support a car on welfare. That's $1,000 per month and you can't afford independence on that or own a car on that. what should I do?

• 4 weeks later...

Since you have IT skills have you thought about your local school board? They need computer techs in my region all of the time because so much instruction in the classroom depends on technology. It would be local, probably within your county and while you would need transportation to various schools it would be much easier to arrange that while looking for a car of your own. The hours would be consistent and it would be pretty local for anyone to help you out. In the mean time you could be drawing a pay check while establishing a line of credit to buy a car. Just a thought.

I used to live in Portland, Oregon. I didnt have a car for a while but I used the local bus/train/bike system to get to and from work. You don't necessarily need a car, but it is helpful. Try to find a local job in the area of which you can bus/uber/taxi/walk to and see if that helps with the situation.

I looked at the bus map for 2 months away and there won't be buses in the suburbs in my region anymore. I don't live in the city in my region. I live in the suburbs. Most of the buses in my region won't leave the city partially because of criminals from the city causing problems at the local amusement park every summer. To add to that a total of 5 or 6 restaurants permanently closed in my region because of minimum wage (more closed since I posted this forum). Plus i just spent $36 (thats about the same as a tank of gas) to Uber it to a doctors appointment today. it was $18 per trip. I got to figure out a way to afford to maintain a car so I can save up to move out.

Hmm..... do you currently have a job? If so maybe financing from a used car dealer is an option. Ik financing isnt ideal on used cars, buts it's a way to get a car without needing a lot up front.

• 3 months later...

Numerous One has good ideas. I wish I had some myself. I hope you figure this out. 

Archived