What makes a good story? What do I never see that I need to see?

Dimir Editor

I've read a lot of good stories and enjoyed some excellent TV shows/movies, but there are some things I wanted to throw out into the (usually uncaring) void of the internet. When some things get done in stories I cringe, and others make me cheer. I've been watching a lot of Overly Sarcastic Productions' Trope Talks lately and my mind has just been compiling so I figured I'd put it somewhere and see what people think.

Here's what I rarely/never see and I really want to see:

• A large well built world that instead of getting saved repeatedly has parts of it destroyed in the process of protecting it, with some of the story covering the rebuilding process
    • This can range from things like a single city being hit by a meteor to a continent suddenly being dead silent to the main protagonist of the story losing their entire group of friends to dark forces (dead or turned, either works)
  • A character who has very frequent darkest hours, depicted as an accurate representation of depression or anxiety. Not used to provide an "explanation" of their darkest hours, but rather to provide better understanding of mental health problems
  • A world that is just as densely populated by humans as it is by any other relevant species
  • Heroes getting held accountable for the collateral damage they cause (similar to how Korra is berated by citizens for reopening the connection to the spirit world)
  • Genuine discussion about what makes the decision a character made right or wrong. This can be back and forth between main characters or between a main character and an arch character (villain or hero, doesn't really matter)
  • Robots that vary in disposition and personality as much as humans, making the "robotic" ones just seem different rather than inhuman or evil. And no, not like the animated movie Robots
  • A character gets captured and enters the damsel mindset, but after the villain tells them their friends can't help them, they break out of the mindset and get out of their own accord
  • A supervillain group that acts as the protagonist of a story
  • Realism as realism instead of realism as grimdark
  • Characters directly breaking the fourth wall in the form of critical analysis (like when Beast Boy is afraid because "the comic relief guy always go first" in the Teen Titans episode "Fear Itself")
  • Characters or groups of characters achieving a goal and then asking "what now?"

Archived